How To Pick Up An Undergraduate Dissertation Topic: 11 Great Ideas
For your undergraduate dissertation topic, you are bound by the limitations of your chosen field of study. For example, you wouldn’t write a literature history paper if you are majoring in medicine. Now is the time to start showing and exploring the specific interests you have in your field. Are you having a tough time choosing your topic? Do you feel everything you find online is old and re-hashed? If so, you’ve come to the right place to get some new ideas.
Top 11 ways to find the perfect topic for your paper
- 1. Go to the library and browse through some newspapers – local, national and international. Take notes of anything that catches your eye and sparks your interest.
- 2. Browse through some magazines and journals. You may be surprised with what you find. These magazines pay a lot of money for their journalists to find what topics are trending now and what is of the most interest to consumers. You may be able to latch onto a very recent event or issue to make into a great topic.
- 3. Ask your teacher for some ideas. If they aren’t giving out ideas, ask other teachers and see what they suggest.
- 4. Ask your parents or grandparents for ideas – perhaps there was an issue or event going on at the time they were young adults and they never saw the issue solved or the question answered.
- 5. Think of a particular interesting bit of knowledge you’ve learned thus far in your educational career. Think of a way to expound on that and turn it into a topic.
- 6. Ask your local librarian. They have tons of good ideas for where to look.
- 7. Conversations with your friends can turn up a great idea.
- 8. Look through the many lists available online and when you find an idea you like, tweak or change it to make it original.
- 9. When you’ve settled on a general topic idea, start doing some research. You will undoubtedly uncover additional ideas you can use to narrow down your topic.
- 10. Choose a topic you have an interest in, not just any one that’s convenient. Your level of interest is a big part in being able to write a successful dissertation.
- 11. Look on several college and university websites and see what they are promoting in your field of study. One of them could be made into a great topic.